There's nothing quite like a cup of tea. Whether it's the first cup of the day to wake you up, a mid-afternoon time-out tea to help you recharge, or an evening herbal blend as part of your wind-down routine, there really is a tea for every time of the day.
Apart from being an integral part of many cultures, there are also many health benefits to be gained from drinking a cup of tea. Here are our top ten:
- Tea can boost your metabolism, and help you burn more calories.
- Tea contains Polyphenols (a type of antioxidant) and phytochemicals which help neurological function. In particular, green tea may help those parts of the brain that maintain learning and memory.
- It’s high in oxygen radical absorbance capacity (free radicals can damage DNA) and detoxifies naturally and effectively.
- Studies suggest that compounds in green tea may help those with Type 2 Diabetes better process sugars.
- Drinking tea has been linked both in men and women, to a lower risk of Parkinson’s disease.
- Tea is hydrating (even with the caffeine) - in green tea, for example.
- Research suggests that green tea in particular, helps the body’s ability to burn fat as fuel during exercise, and promotes muscle endurance.
- Tea can calm the mind, and relax the body.
- Tea, in particular matcha green tea, is rich in fiber, cholophyll, vitamins (C), selenium, chromium, zinc and magnesium.
- Many find that tea can increase their concentration, and enhance mood.
Herbal teas are particularly helpful in the fight against disease and infection. They can help protect against oxidative stress, and boost your immune system as well as a variety of other health benefits. Try the following:
Inflammation and immune-boosting: Ginger, Rose Hip
Joint Pain: Ginger
Digestion: Peppermint, Fresh Mint, Dandelion, Cinnamon, Ginger
Sleep: Chamomile, Valerian Root, Passionflower, Lemonbalm, Lavender, Magnolia Bark
Immunity: Echinacea, Elderberry, Liquorice Root, Ginger
Bone Health: Rooibos
Brain Health: Sage
Arteries: Lemon Balm
Anxiety: Passionflower, Magnolia Bark, Chamomile
Exercise Endurance: Green Tea
Skin Health: Rooibos, Chamomile, Spearmint