Sometimes, hunger strikes when we aren’t prepared: on our commute, between picking the kids up from school and dropping them off at soccer, running between meetings, or rushing to the office and not having time for breakfast. This usually leaves two equally unappealing options: grabbing something from the nearest shop, knowing that it’s unlikely to be nutritious; or doing your level best to fight off the craving until you can get something - anything - to eat.
Studies have shown that those who skip meals are more stressed, anxious and have a heightened risk of developing diabetes.
The good news is that there are plenty of healthier, pre-made, grab-and-go snacks that are sure to satisfy. We’ve rounded up some great snacks to buy in bulk and leave where you’re most likely to need them:
- Lesser Evil Paleo Puffs: These bites are an organic, non-dairy take on cheese puffs made with cassava, coconut, and sweet potato flours and then dusted with coconut oil and Himalayan salt for a delicious healthy treat. They’re naturally gluten- and grain-free and totally vegan. Available at Thrive Market and Whole Foods.
- Hippeas: A healthy version of Cheetos! They come in a few different flavors: Himalayan salt, barbecue, sriracha and, arguably the best, vegan white cheddar. Can be found at Whole Foods and even at Starbucks!
- The Snack Yard Shiitake Mushrooms: Crunchy shiitake mushrooms that are packed with umami flavor. Buy in bulk at Costco and leave in the car and the office to grab when you need..
- Veggie Pops by Made in Nature: What started as one small pear farm near Mt. Hood, Oregon has now grown into the #1 organic dried fruit brand in the United States. We love their veggie pops. Sugar free & packed with dried veggies. Available at Thrive Market, New Seasons & Whole Foods.
- Seaweed Crisps: A delightful crispy snack, that consists of brown rice wafer and seaweed. The sweetness of the brown rice and the saltiness of the seaweed pairs beautifully for an iodine rich snack! Annie Chun’s available at Wholefoods.
- Lara Bars: These are popular snack and can be found at Target, Trader Joe’s, Costco and Whole Foods to name but a few. Lara bars have fewer ingredients than their Clif counterpart, in addition to being gluten and grain-free.·
- Gourmet Nut Trail Mix: Ready-to-go trail mix packs with a variety of seeds, nuts and dried fruit for a classic protein-packed snack. Available at at Costco and Whole Foods.
- The Good Bean Crispy Chickpeas: Baked chickpeas that are crunchy as can be and have flavors from plain to spicy. Available at Whole Foods and Costco.
- Hippie Snacks: Seasoned with sea salt, seeds and herbs, these crisps give you all the roasted flavor you crave, with the crunch you deserve. Various flavors of Cauliflower & Avocado Crisps. Available at Thrive Market & Wholefoods.
Happy healthy snacking!
ABOUT THE AUTHOR: Madison Eubanks is Holistic Wellness Practitioner and a graduate of Southwest Institute of Healing Arts. Nutrition and Urban Farming are not only her areas of expertise, but her passion; she loves educating people on the healing powers of food and how they can allow it to “be thy medicine”. Madison also has certifications as a health and life coach and is a 200-Hour Registered Yoga Teacher. She has been a dedicated vegan for over four years, believing it to be one of the best choices she has ever made: ‘there is no better diet that takes in consideration for human health, the environment and animal welfare’.